Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Summons to Vulcan

CAPTAIN'S LOG:  STARDATE 87906.11

Following our sojourn to Andoria Prime The Serenity has been summoned to Vulcan so that I may be debriefed regarding my recent attempt to broker peace with the Undine.  I will be debriefed by Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard.  To say that I am intimidated at the prospect of meeting the man responsible for saving the Federation so many times over is an understatement.  It has been many years since I studied on Vulcan as an undergraduate, and despite my time among their ritual driven society, I still find myself dreading the formal pomp and circumstance that accompany the debriefing almost as much as the debriefing itself.






CAPTAIN'S LOG:  SUPPLEMENTAL

In full dress uniform, I have beamed down to the Circle of Ceremony where I am to meet Ambassador Picard.  Now surrounded by the dust clouds and crimson sandstone, I find myself remembering a calm and tranquility that does not come easily for a species as emotionally driven as the Bae-ae-kai.  Hopefully, there will be time to socialize with the ambassador amid all of the ceremony.



Croft:  "I am Rear Admiral Ethan Oberon Croft.  I am here to meet Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard.  I exist to serve."

Ceremonial Guard:  "Your service honors us.  You will proceed to the Tower of Diplomacy to begin your appointment."



Croft:  "Odd, the ceremony is 2 minutes overdue.  Nice to know Ambassador Picard is able to hold onto his humanity around all this logic and precision."



"Ambassador Croft, I am Admiral T'Ress of the Starfleet Command Vulcan Adjunct.  Ambassador Picard has been recalled to Earth for an urgent matter.  You will debrief me.  You have 57 minutes for this meeting.  Begin."

Croft:  ::looking disappointed::  "Understood."

CAPTAIN'S LOG:  STARDATE 87912.67

My debriefing complete, I am preparing to return to The Serenity.  While I was not able to meet Ambassador Picard, I was told by the Commanding Officer of Starfleet Operations on Vulcan that my career so far has been "satisfactory."  I cannot remember ever receiving a higher compliment.  Commander Baxter informs me that The Serenity has been ordered to chart several newly discovered systems in the Gamma Orianis Sector.  However, we will not need to leave Vulcan for 50 hours, so I have extened shore leave for the crew.  On a personal note, I will use this time to connect with Faculty with whom I studied during my tenure at the Vulcan Science Academy.



"A perfect synergy of function and aesthetics....I had almost forgotten how remarkable this place was.  It was nice to see again."

No comments:

Post a Comment